Welcome to the B’nei Mitzvah journey at PSC!
We look forward to partnering with you to prepare your family for this important life cycle moment. Our goals are to:
- Bring together all of the different families in our community who are celebrating a B’nei Mitzvah during this academic year.
- Make sure that your child is exceptionally prepared for this milestone in their Jewish journey.
- Capture the importance behind this entire year of life, not just the one day.
- Bring families into the learning and not just leave it all to our young teens.
- See the B’nei Mitzvah experience, not as an end, but rather as the beginning of the next part of your student’s and family’s journey.
What you can expect:
- All students entering the year of B’nei Mitzvah must be enrolled in Kesher: The Greenberg Religious School and attend on the scheduled Wednesdays, 4-6pm (three times per month). See calendar and register.
- All students will meet with Cantor Shapira weekly for prayer learning, trope, Haftarah and Torah readings, starting approximately ten months prior to their B’nei Mitzvah date.
- All students meet weekly with clergy or a tutor to prepare for their “drash” whether traditionally written or expressed in some creative form starting two to three months prior to their B’nei Mitzvah date.
- Students are expected to attend Shabbat and Holiday services regularly in preparation to experience what “the day” will be like.
- All families are expected to attend family B’nei Mitzvah learning on one Wednesday per month at 6:30-8pm. The 2021-2022 dates are October 20th, November 10th, December 15th,January 19th, February 9th, March 9th, April 13th, and May 11th.
- All students must attend Kesher Shabbat, a once a month experience for our whole Kesher program to come together and participate in celebrating Shabbat through learning, prayer and other experiential opportunities. B’nei Mitzvah students will be asked to lead different parts of the service for our community as they become ready and knowledgeable to do so. Kesher Shabbat dates for 2021-2022 are September 11th, October 30th, November 13th, December 11th, January 22nd, February 26th, March 12th, April 16th, and May 7th.
Please contact Cantor Shapira if you have any questions or comments.